Steaming deep cleans your face of dirt and many impurities and forces skin to perspire which prevents pimples. It also helps in opening the pores, and this helps the skin absorb the benefits got from exfoliating. If you don't have an electric steamer then boil water in a pot and when it starts boiling reduce the flame, lower your face over the pot covering you head with a towel so the steam is directed to your face. Steam for 3 to 5 minutes. Take a cotton ball and gently wipe your face to remove dead cells and improve blood circulation. Dry face with a soft towel. People with an oily skin should steam their face twice a week and those with a dry skin may steam once a week. People with sensitive and delicate skin should avoid steaming.
Face Steaming :
- To give a fresh feeling you can add rose petals, mint leaves or 1 drop of any aroma oil to the boiling water. If you add any essential oils or herbs to the hot water then keep your eyes and mouth closed.
- You can steam your face once a week, for people with dry skin apply a little moisturizer before steaming.
- Green Tea is one of the best ingredient to add to water for steaming. Add 2 teaspoons of green tea to boiling water and steam for 10 minutes.
- Lavender or Rosemary essential oil can be used for a stimulating cleanse.
- Tie your hair with a hair band or towel before steaming.
- Always use soft distilled water as hard water can dry or irritate skin.
- If you have blackheads then while steaming add a few drops of apple cider vineger to the water to soften the blackheads.
- A few tablespoons of milk added to the boiling water has a soothing effect and pores will be cleansed. This helps to keep acne under control.
- Eucalyptus oil has an anti-inflammotory effect and you can feel relaxed and also enjoy the smell.
- Rose petals for dry skin and mint leaves for oily skin is advisable.